•Reporting to the Chef, Operations or the Executive Chef for the unit, the Sous Chef, Operations assists the Chef, Operations or the Executive Chef in designing and preparing meals for airline customers.
•Provides culinary expertise and leadership; promotes quality food services and ensures food safety and sanitation requirements are followed.
•Drives the food production effort with the assistance of Food Supervisors
- Responsible for ensuring food specifications and labor objectives meet all Company and customer requirements
- Supervises department for quality and quantity; ensures items are produced and dated according to specification, and coding system is adhered to correctly (i.e – FDA, USDA, HAACP and other governmental regulations)
- Keeps account of attendance, sets up paperwork, sets up each shift and assigns employees to specified sections (schedule optimization)
- Orders raw material from storeroom and produces extra meals at last minute as needed
- Prepares daily production sheet and assigns tasks to employees; works with and directs employees through the use of the production sheet and passenger counts
- Responsible for all food items after requisitioning them from the storeroom; training and recurrent training of all employees on proper procedures of preparation
- Ensures safety procedures are adhered to; maintain cleanliness through shift to ensure quality product
- Associates degree in the Culinary Arts or a Culinary Arts certification preferred.
- Minimum 1-3 years as a Chef and/or Sous Chef required.
- Minimum 2-5 years as a cook required.
- Previous supervisory experience working in a high volume, manufacturing, food production, restaurant or catering environment preferred.
- In-flight catering experience or experience in a high-volume food service environment preferred.
- Ability to cook meals according to detailed specifications.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Must have strong and effective leadership skills, and the ability to successfully manage a team of cooks.
- Current or previous labor relations experience is a plus, but not required.
- Candidate must be comfortable with all levels of employees and have the ability to drive positive program change.
- Ability to train others required.
- Must have the ability to give negative and positive feedback to employees on a daily basis.
- Excellent time management skills required. Ability to handle multiple tasks without losing focus on priorities.
- Strong organizational, analytical, communication and leadership skills required.
- Must be innovative and have the ability to make changes to the operation as needed to further improve the work environment and unit performance.
- Experience with menu design a plus.
- Basic computer skills required. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products preferred.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish is a plus.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- ServSafe Certified preferred.
- Ability to obtain ServSafe Certification required
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time if necessary.
- Regularly, stands, bends, lifts, and moves intermittently during shifts of 10+ hours.
- In a normal production kitchen facility there may be physical discomfort due to temperature and noise.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and move product, equipment, supplies, etc., in excess of twenty-five (25) pounds.
- A rotating schedule of over 55 hours per week is typical.
Demonstrated Competencies to be Successful in the Position:
- Thinking – Information search and analysis, problem resolution skills
- Engaging – understanding others, team leadership, developing people
- Inspiring – influencing and building relationships, motivating and inspiring, communicating effectively
- Achieving – delivering business results under pressure, championing performance improvement, customer focus
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
gategroup is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status or other category under applicable law.
For further information regarding Equal Employment Opportunity, copy and paste the following URL into your web browser: www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Keywords: Sous chef, Chef, Kitchen Manager, Jr. Sous Chef, Culinary, production chef, production sous chef
To Apply to this job Please go to website address given in Source below